Thursday, December 30, 2010

Riffing and Sampling

I am almost done with my newest still life. I have decided to do a few small paintings that borrow from the larger still life. I like the idea of paintings moving out into sequels or spin offs. They do it in TV all the time. So far, much like TV the spin off is not as good as the original series.


Soldier at the Crossroad, 5 x 3 1/4, oil on linen, 2010

This is not the best photo of the painting, but you get the point. Once it is dry I may scan it so it can get a better image. 
This is an army man that my wife found digging in the garden. I have a bag of my own army men from when I was a kid, but this one is older and more interesting. I have a box of old match books and picked this one for two reason, the color went well in the scene and I thought the tomato sauce looked a bit like blood. So it gave this war scene a touch of blood and guts. Of course something that I don't think kids think about when they are blowing up their toys.
I will tell you that today's firecrackers do not do the damage that I remember then doing. I was lighting them in the studio thinking of doing a before and after, but really all a firecracker does is make noise and throw pieces of paper all over the place. 
Do you think this painting is too political?


Do kids still blow up their plastic army men? I imagine there is probably a computer game or I Phone app that does it for them. Though looking back on the stupid stuff we did when we were kids I occasionally am surprise I have both my eyes and all my fingers and a computer version would be much safer. 
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your art is boring....

Richard J. Luschek II said...

Good.
Boring lasts longer than the alternative. I don't want my work to be shocking or in your face. I want it to be comfortable and easy.
Glad you got the point.

Anonymous said...

Comfortable, easy, boring? No way! This painting Anticipates. That poor plastic soldier with the humongous firecracker banded to his back may get pulverized at any moment It is your decision because you hold those matches in your fingertips.

Richard, I like how you recall those childhood memories for us Baby Boomers in your work using props and themes that speak to our past...and they are painted so well...Keep on, keeping on!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rD1xJUJjI

Stephen Cefalo said...

Just wondering if anonymous person #1 thinks still-life in general is boring or particularly Richard's? Is Chardin boring? What still-life painters do you like?

Richard J. Luschek II said...

Dear Anonymous
I actually have been considering your critique, I would be very interested in your thoughts on what makes it boring, and what might help the work not be boring.
Basically, what kind of work is not boring in your eyes.
Thanks.