Saturday, May 23, 2009

Red, Red Wine

Sometimes you just have to set a painting aside and just look at for a while if it is not going too well. This is a painting that I started over a year ago. It is a bit of a crazy composition, but I was pretty excited about it. There were some things just not jiving. I even showed a very much unfinished version of it in a show last year.
I decided to go back into it working a bit from a reference photo, a bit from memory and the rest I just made up till I liked it.
A good friend of mine was generous enough to pose for this painting on her lovely back porch. She probably stood in that pose a total of about 12 to 15 hours. I did not keep track of how much wine was consumed, but it was good wine, as she was kind enough to share.


Red Wine, Summer Evening, 20 x 16, oil on linen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This girl could fit right into Renoir's Boating Party from the light filled impressionistic palette to glass of wine...Nice!