Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hanging out in the Basement

Basement Corner, 20" x 16", oil on linen, ©copyright Richard Luschek 2012
My illustration "studio" is in the basement of our house. We have a pretty nice basement as my wife has decorated it with furniture and nice rugs, but it is still a basement with lots of ....well, I will call it patina.
I recently did a very small painting of a light bulb for show this winter and I got to thinking that I should do a series of paintings of various views of our basement.
I have two started, but thought I would post the first one that I have on the easel. I am finding very tricky to do these paintings as the light is not great in my basement and I am painting scenes in minimal light. So, they require a lot of work in the studio. I brought this painting up from the basement and it looked to be keyed too high and was way too yellow and green. Looked great in the basement, but of course it was in the dark.

So, I had to use work on the painting in the studio, from a bad photo and my memory to wrestle this into something that worked. There are still some issues I need to work out, but it is close. Above is a shot of it after a day in the studio.
I also have to point out how difficult it is to paint a lit light bulb. Can't really stare for too long without doing damage.  More to come.

No comments: