Saturday, March 31, 2012

Digital Painting is Clean

Mr. Clean in Pink Bottle, 5.3" x 4", Digital Painting on Nintendo, using Colors program
©copyright Richard Luschek 2012
I have a little Nintendo DS that I like to do sketches on. These little portable devices are great as color sketchbooks. I use a program called Colors to do the drawing. I have discussed it elsewhere on this blog.

I have been pondering as to whether or not to purchase an iPad 3. A student in my class was kind enough to lend me his for a week. It is a pretty wonderful device, but I am still on the fence about it. One thing I missed in the drawing applications was pressure sensitivity- meaning, the harder you push with the pen tool or your finger, the bigger the brush gets or the darker it gets depending on the settings. The iPad has one level, so brush strokes will be of even width. Below you can see the difference with and without the sensitivity to pressure. If I do not get an iPad I am considering a cheap laptop with a small Wacom Tablet.

Left- Stroke with Pressure sensitivity
Right- Stroke without Pressure sensitivity.
It is a tough decision as the iPad sure is 'purdy', and has lots of cool bells and whistles- tech folks call them "apps". In all honesty having such a device could be a bad. Not having web access in the studio is probably a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly love my iPad 2, though I do no sketching on it. The retina display of the iPad 3 is a jewel, and the demonstration of painting on it in the Apple Keynote blow-away impressive.

Matt R.

Richard J. Luschek II said...

I may still purchase an iPad. It is for sure a great design with a lovely screen.