Thursday, June 11, 2015

Portrait of a Soul

I just finished a portrait for a special exhibition opening this weekend. The fancy unveiling is on Friday with the exhibition opening to the public on Saturday morning. Portrait of  a Soul is a project started by Lee and Sue Schaefer. They've gathered local artists to do portraits of children with craniofacial issues. As someone born with a cleft lip myself, this project we definitely something I had to be part of. 
When I was born, way back in 1969, the hospital photographer did not take my picture as was the normal procedure. I mean would want a photo of your deformed cleft lip child? Don't worry, I got over it, my Mom owned a camera.
The surgeons at Children's hospital did a bang up job and I sculpted me into the ruggedly handsome man you see now. Times have changed and this project proves just that.
I was paired up with 18 year old Kenton, a student at St. Rita's School for the Deaf and a big sports fan who brought his Bengals orange sweater to wear for his sitting.


 











He was very excited about the process and was willing to sit for six different 3 hour sessions. Kenton is deaf, so I had to converse and make any posing adjustments through his mother Julie, who was standing off to the side.


 This was our first session where we figured out the pose. I painted a quick color study.
This project was challenge- though all portraits are, and I was still painting on it when Sue and Lee knocked on the studio door to pick it up last week. I doubt they were thrilled to be carrying a wet sticky painting home with them.
I will write more thoroughly about this when I can post an image of the painting after the unveiling this weekend.
You can see more about this program on their website and facebook page.


Below is some information on the event and the location. The Friday is event is a fundraiser with limited tickets. Call the gallery if you are interested in attending.
Feel free to stop in Saturday morning. Some of the painters will be there to talk about their work.

 

PORTRAIT OF A SOUL unveiling and artist reception this Friday June 12th 6-9PM 


The Eisele Gallery of Fine Art is honored to host the 2015 Portrait of a Soul unveiling and exhibition June 13th through July 3rd. 
 
A limited number of tickets are still available to attend the Artists Opening Reception and unveiling ceremony on Friday June 12th 6-9PM at the Eisele Gallery. RSVP are required to attend the Opening Reception.  
 
Be there when the children see their finished portrait for the first time. It will certainly be a night to remember. The unveiling ceremony begins at 6:30PM and will be emceed by WLWT TV5's Jennifer Schack.
 
Call the gallery at (513) 791-7717 to RSVP.
 
A donation of $100.00 or more to Portrait of a Soul is appreciated, but not required to attend the opening reception on Friday June 12th.
 
Exhibition opens to the public on Saturday June 13th 10AM-3PM
 
The portraits in this exhibition are not for sale and will be given to the children and their families.  Copies will be displayed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

No comments: