Thursday, January 12, 2012

Put Some Sugar On It!

I started two 5x7 paintings just before the New Year and thought I would post them after another paintin session. I made a few changes but mostly just pushed it to a finish.Of course this involves refining and bring it to focus, but all the while I am correcting not just drawing, but value and color. No matter how much I think I have it on day one, a fresh eye reveals more.
Cream and Sugar, Oil on Linen, Each 7"x 5", © copyright Richard Luschek 2011
So you can compare before and after, below are the paintings after a few hour lay- in.  I thought the right panel was boring, so I repeated the opened sweetener pack and added a spoon to the cup.

Cream and Sugar (Day 1), Oil on Linen, Each 7"x 5", © copyright Richard Luschek 2011

3 comments:

jimserrettstudio said...

I like that the changes ad to the work, speaking for myself it seems that when I start nudging an image by adding more elements things go astray. This looks like you planed it all along. Really enjoy your work, thanks for sharing your process.

Richard J. Luschek II said...

Thanks Jim.
I do this all the time. I would like to think when I set up and organize the still life I am done with design, but I find no matter how hard I try, it is the painting of the scene that reveals to me if the abstraction is pleasing. If I work, paint and think in an abstract way I can be open to changes.
One thing that helps is to not "nudge elements" but "moving shapes of light and dark".

Worlds Greatest Artist said...

That is an interesting insight
to nudge patterns of light and dark not the elements/object.