Friday, September 3, 2010

Totally Nuts

Here are two paintings that I am calling The Modern Relationship or The Couple or Nut and Bolt or Something Else Equally Clever.

Thoughts? What should I call these?  I really enjoy exploring the male and female symbolism that can be found in two pieces of hardware. Who doesn't really? If you look deeper for fancy, college goin', psychological meaning you can see how the wrench brings them together with it's rugged masculine straight form forced through the nut panel, and how the same wrench has feminine curves slithering in on the bolt (male) panel.  Cause that's what it's all about really, each member of the relationship tossing a monkey wrench in the life of the other?


  Nut and Bolt (The Couple) Working title- each one 3 1/2" x 2 1/2", oil on linen

Didn't know I was so sneaky did you? Actually I have no idea what the hell I am talking about, it is pretty much just a nut and a bolt. But they do make a cute couple.
I know it is a tired subject , but I do like shiny things.
Here they are in some of those fancy Castner frames I have been telling you about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I respond to "The Couple" because it draws on the idea of something physically holding something together as well as alluding to the intangible bonds of a relationship. Nice work.

Keith

Stephen Cefalo said...

The color is great. I think the ol' electric plug and outlet would make a good companion piece, although only one of them is shiny.