Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Premature Exclamation

I have to apologize for posting about a painting as if it were done, before it was.
I was checking out the painting on the computer and noticed a few issues I will talk about now.
When I finish work quickly, I try to leave the still life up for a few days just in case I find any major problems. I like to have a few days away from the work, so I can look at it fresh. If I am satisfied with the work, I disassemble the set up and frame the painting.
Painting with no no's.



















I knew I had an issue at the handle of the coffee cup. A bunch of lines all coming together at a point. I had tried to fix this by controlling the values- making them very similar so it was not an issue.
It was still an issue, I decided to raise that line of the table up so it was higher on the cup.

Next I had a series of spaces that were all the same size. The handle of the coffee pot, the spoon and the space between them were all the same size, evenly spaced and the same angle. Another no no. I could not stop looking at it.

So, I stood in front of the painting, used my maul stick to flagellate myself on the back to teach myself a lesson and then got to work.
While I was at it, I fixed a few other thing, tweaking the color in the coffee pot, darkening the left side of it, and sharpening some edges on the wax paper. 
Here is the final picture, framed and in the Gallery.
Off To The Races, 12"X 9", oil on linen, ©copyright Richard Luschek 2012
Now I am satisfied with it.

2 comments:

Sandra Galda said...

Amusing and instructive post; this is a beautiful painting!

Richard J. Luschek II said...

Thanks Sandra.