Monday, June 20, 2011

BS Creator

I was recently asked to write an artist statement for a show I was to be part of. I declined and just sent the painting sans statement-The work speaks for itself-  at least it should. I could write some flowery prose that speaks the obvious, but I am not one to do that sort of thing. I like subtlety and truth. Artists statements do not usually contain either of those things. I suppose you could argue that I am not writing a relevant artist statement then. That I should take the time to craft a statement that has all the things I cherish.
I have done so. This time I suppose I was just not in the mood. 

Someone recently sent me a link to the following website with an artist statement creator that I found pretty entertaining. I thought I would share. Now if such an issue ever comes up again, I can use this technological marvel to create my own.
Click the following link:
INSTANT ARTIST STATEMENT


Here is a photo of some terrible artwork followed by one of these "artist" statements to help you understand it. It works!
"The above work explores the relationship between acquired synesthesia and urban spaces.
With influences as diverse as Nietzsche and John Cage, new synergies are crafted from both explicit and implicit meanings.
Ever since I was a teenager I have been fascinated by the traditional understanding of the human condition. What starts out as triumph soon becomes corrupted into a cacophony of greed, leaving only a sense of decadence and the prospect of a new beginning.
As shifting impressions become transformed through boundaried and personal practice, the viewer is left with an impression of the inaccuracies of our world."

No comments: