Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hot Days work

I had a fun hot day working in the studio. With the summer sun so high it pours in through my skylight a bit more than I would like. One of these days I would like to raise the angle of the sky light windows from the current  45 degrees or so, to something closer to 60 degrees, which would keep the direct sunlight out.

The issue today was that the sun had turned my studio into a hot box at 92 degrees. The AC got it close to comfortable by the time the model showed up at 6 for our sketch group.
In spite of the heat, I thought some good painting happened tonight. This painting has some drawing issues; the feet look too big and I probably should have put in the pole she had her hand on, but I was happy with gesture and the color.
Nude sketch, 14x11, oil on canvas, about 2 hours. ©copyright Richard Luschek 2012

During the day, I set up a little tiny still life for a frame that requires something manly. It is a manly frame. I set up some tools that I thought would work and did a rough lay in that I hope to finish next time.

Early on as I was rearranging the items the sun had been shinning on them all morning and had made them surprisingly hot. 

Bolt, Nut, Washer and Wrench (first day lay in), 3 1/2 x 5", Oil on linen, ©copyright Richard Luschek 2012
I hope to finish this in the next session and bring it into focus. I will post the finished painting soon.

No comments: