Thursday, May 13, 2010

Neglected.

I have a few paintings showing around town this weekend. The first is a brand new painting that nature helped improve. I had taken an onion to the studio to use in another still life, but the onion never made it into the final design. As I painted the other still life, this onion sat around in the studio and started to develop into a full blown onion plant- is it called an onion plant? By the time I set up the painting shown below, and I did need an onion, the neglected onion made it in the picture. The green of the onion plant was just what the set-up needed.
This was a fun painting from start to finish. I can tell you that is not always the case. This one was great fun and I have to think it had a lot to do with the fact that I did one of my best starts. At the end of the first day I had everything I needed- good values, color and pretty good drawing. A good start meant a fast finish. I finished the painting in a little more than 3 days. Pretty fast for me. One of those times were everything just seems to work, and paint brush does what it is supposed to do.
It was amazing how much the green stems moved around. I had to pick and choose what I wanted, as the next day it looked pretty different, as the stems had all wiggled into a new position. In the end I had to just make up where I wanted the stems to be, based on what I was looking. I just did my best to make sure the design of the stems was a pleasing one.
This painting will be on display this weekend at the Signature Member show at the Cincinnati Art Club. Signature Members Spring Show
Opening Reception:    Friday, May 14, 2010   6:00 - 9:00 p.m.  Come meet the artists.
Show continues weekends:   Saturdays and Sundays   2:00 - 5:00 p.m.   May 15, 16, 22, 23
Please note, I am not sure that I will be there. But if you want to meet me, feel free to contact me. 
Neglected Onion, 20x16, oil on linen.

I also have a few works in Glendale. One is an sweet little set of paintings I did last spring of magnolia flowers outside my studio. I did 3 studies over the week, and ended up building a frame so I could show them all together. The frame was based on a lovely frame by Pugin I had seen in a book. Following that design I built this one out of oak and then applied metal leaf. The center painting is 10 x 8, and two outer paintings are 7x5.  
Magnolia,14 x 23 Framed, (7x5, 10x8, 7x5), Oil, 2008
ok I did it two springs ago- my how time flies.
The painting will be on view at The Grand Finale. This is one of my favorite restaurants. I would eat there every night if I could. It is in an beautiful old house and the menu is delicious and reasonably priced for what you get. If you want to have some delicious deserts  and look at this painting, I suggest you travel to Glendale (the caramel custard makes me cry it is so good). Also showing, is one of the former owners of the restaurant, my good friend Cindy Youse.
I have another painting showing somewhere in Glendale at a small new gallery. I don't know exactly were it is, but I am sure if you spend a few hours looking, you will find it.  I think there may be a wine tasting at the gallery. That is the best hint I can provide.
Or you could ask someone.
 Blue Watering Can, 14 x 11, oil, 2005




No comments: