Thursday, November 19, 2009

Finally a Finalist


I think I forgot to mention this, but I was a finalist in the Artists Magazines 26th Annual Competition. I entered my Peanut Butter and Jelly painting and was chosen as one of the finalists. It is a nice honor, and while I was not one of the six winners in the Still Life category. I was in some very good company in the finalist group. It even says on the cover- The Years Best Art!

Since I was only a finalist (still, I am the "Years Best"), they do not show my work or talk about me- but my name is in there! So rush out and buy a copy. If you want, I will even sign your copy, writing my name under my name. Then you will have my name twice. How can you pass that up?
It is the December issue, and my name is on page 51, in the flesh colored finalist box, at the bottom of the middle column. They even spelled my name correctly. Great stuff.

If you read this blog you know that I don't read books or look at much art that wasn't written or painted by some long dead artist. So, it generally is not a magazine I read or look at. It is geared more toward the hobby painter. Most of the articles are not really written by masters of the craft, so they are not 'grand' articles on how to paint in the larger sense, but discussions of tricks, like "How to Paint the Shimmer on Water Droplets On A Duck's Mustache". If you actually learn how to paint, you don't need a fancy trick or a suggestion to buy the newest water droplet shaped brush. Basically, you just have to know how to see.
The magazine is getting better, and occasionally they do have a good painter offering some good information. Speaking of which, I should write an article for them.

The Peanut Butter and Jelly Painting is still hanging in the Manifest show and will be till Dec. 4th.

2 comments:

Joe Slucher said...

Once they see this blog, I'm sure next month's issue will issue a correction stating that your name was wrongly included. On the upside that means your name will be in two issues of the magazine.

Unknown said...

Great job Richard - I'm going out to get my issue!